The Effects of Acute Exercise and Exercise Training onPlasma Fibrinogen Levels in Healthy Individuals:A Meta-Analysis
| R. Eslami , D. Heidary, A. Mehdipour, S. Heidari
|Keywords: Endurance Training, Resistance Training, High Intensity Interval Training, Fibrinogen, Blood Viscosity
Full-Text [PDF 795 kb]
| Abstract (HTML) (546 Views)
Type of Study: Review Article |
Full-Text: (273 Views)
- Alzahrani S, Ajjan R. Coagulation and fibrinolysis in diabetes. Diab Vasc Dis Res 2010; 7(4): 260-73.
- Van den Burg P, Hospers J, Mosterd W, Bouma B, Huisveld I. Aging, physical conditioning, and exercise-induced changes in hemostatic factors and reaction products. J Appl Physiol 2000; 88(5): 1558-64.
- Kamath S, Lip G. Fibrinogen: biochemistry, epidemiology and determinants. QJM. 2003; 96(10): 711-29.
- Ghanbari-Niaki A, Saeidi A, Aliakbari-Beydokhti M, Ardeshiri S, Kolahdouzi S, Chaichi MJ, et al. Effects of circuit resistance training with crocus sativus (saffron) supplementation on plasma viscosity and fibrinogen. Annals of Applied Sport Science 2015; 3(2): 1-10.
- El-Sayed MS, Ali ZE-S, Ahmadizad S. Exercise and training effects on blood haemostasis in health and disease. Sports Med 2004; 34(3): 181-200.
- Amiri Parsa T, Khademosharie M, Azarnive M. The effect of aerobic training on fibrinogen and blood cells in obese girls. Sci J Iran Blood Transfus Organ 2019; 16(3): 217-27. [Article in Farsi]
- Porsesh M, Habibi A, Solimani S. A comparative study on the effect of a resistance training period with and without vascular occlusion hand on changes in fibrinogen, lipids, and lipoproteins in young girls. RABMS 2020; 6(3): 134-43.
- Eslami R, Kazemi A, Salajegheh R. The effect of high intensity interval training on the Resistin levels of subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue in rats. Journal of Applied Sports Physiology 2016; 12(24): 83-94. [Article in Farsi]
- Eslami R, Khajavi RF, Valipour DV. Effects of two resistance training methods with different rest intervals on muscular strength and power and blood lactate level. EBNESINA 2015;16(4): 26-32. [Article in Farsi]
- Nieman DC, Henson DA, Gross SJ, Jenkins DP, Davis JM, Murphy EA, et al. Quercetin reduces illness but not immune perturbations after intensive exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007; 39(9): 1561-9.
- Darvishi M, Eslami R. Effects of aerobic exercise in manipulated environment on serum levels of BDNF, Irisin and Cathepsin B in healthy active men. Yafteh 2020; 22(2): 100-10. [Article in Farsi]
- Gibala MJ, Little JP, Van Essen M, Wilkin GP, Burgomaster KA, Safdar A, et al. Short-term sprint interval versus traditional endurance training: similar initial adaptations in human skeletal muscle and exercise performance. J Physiol 2006; 575(3): 901-11.
- Plaisance EP, Taylor JK, Alhassan S, Abebe A, Mestek ML, Grandjean PW. Cardiovascular fitness and vascular inflammatory markers after acute aerobic exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2007; 17(2): 152-62.
- Habibi M, Torkaman G, Goosheh B, Hedayati M. Effects of aerobic and combined resistance-aerobic training on the coagulation factors of young healthy men. Physiol Pharmacol 2009; 13(1): 98-107. [Article in Farsi]
- Eriksson-Berg M, Egberg N, Eksborg S, Schenck-Gustafsson K. Retained fibrinolytic response and no coagulation activation after acute physical exercise in middle-aged women with previous myocardial infarction. Thromb Res 2002; 105(6): 481-6.
- Nazer Ali P, Hanachi P. To investigate the fibrinogen and some of coagulation factors in anaerobic exercise training women. World Applied Sciences Journal 2011; 12(1): 72-5.
- Karimi M, Rahnama M. Effect of 8 Weeks of Selected Pilates Exercises on Plasma Levels of Homocysteine and Fibrinogen in Non-Athlete Obese Women. Qom University of Medical Sciences Journal 2018; 11(11): 33-40. [Article in Farsi]
- Gram AS, Bladbjerg E-M, Quist JS, Petersen MB, Rosenkilde M, Stallknecht B. Anti-inflammatory effects of active commuting and leisure time exercise in overweight and obese women and men: a randomized controlled trial. Atherosclerosis 2017; 265: 318-24.
- Mongirdienė A, Kubilius R. Effect of physical training on indices of platelet aggregation and fibrinogen concentration in patients with chronic heart failure. Medicina (Kaunas) 2015; 51(6): 343-50.
- Jahangard T, Torkaman G, Goosheh B, Hedayati M, Dibaj A. The effect of short-term aerobic training on coagulation and fibrinolytic factors in sedentary healthy postmenopausal women. Maturitas 2009; 64(4): 223-7.
- Rashidlamir A, Javaheri AH, Jaafari M. The effect of regular aerobic training with weight loss on concentrations of fibrinogen and resistin in healthy and overweight men. Tehran Univ Med J 2011; 68(12): 710-7. [Article in Farsi]
- Lippi G, Maffulli N. Biological influence of physical exercise on hemostasis. Semin Thromb Hemost 2009; 35(3): 269-76.
- Downs SH, Black N. The feasibility of creating a checklist for the assessment of the methodological quality both of randomised and non-randomised studies of health care interventions. J Epidemiol Community Health 1998; 52(6): 377-84.
- Eslami R, Kazemi A. Effect of 8-Week Short-Term Sprint Interval Training on Serum Levels of Adipokines, Inflammatory Markers and Lipid Profile in Overweight Boys. New Approaches in Sport Sciences 2019; 1(2): 121-36.
- Saboorisarein M, Yazdanpoor F, Jahromi M. The Influence of acute morning and evening exercise on homocysteine, fibrinogen and platelet. Int J Cardiovasc Res 2012; 1: 4.
- Ersöz G, Zergeroğlu A, Yakaryılmaz A. The effect of submaximal exercise on platelet aggregation during late follicular and midluteal phases in women. Thromb Res 2002; 108(2-3): 147-50.
- Gunga HC, Kirsch K, Beneke R, Böning D, Hopfenmüller W, Leithäuser R, et al. Markers of coagulation, fibrinolysis and angiogenesis after strenuous short-term exercise (Wingate-test) in male subjects of varying fitness levels. Int J Sports Med 2002; 23(7): 495-9.
- Lippi G, Franchini M, Salvagno GL, Montagnana M, Guidi GC. Higher morning serum cortisol level predicts increased fibrinogen but not shortened APTT. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2008; 26(2): 103-5.
- Jilma B, Dirnberger E, Eichler HG, Matulla B, Schmetterer L, Kapiotis S, et al. Partial blockade of nitric oxide synthase blunts the exercise-induced increase of von Willebrand factor antigen and of factor VIII in man. Thromb Haemost 1997; 78(10): 1268-71.
- Hegde SS, Goldfarb AH, Hegde S. Clotting and fibrinolytic activity change during the 1 h after a submaximal run. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2001; 33(6): 887-92.
- Ghanbari-Niaki A, Behzad Khameslo M, Tayebi SM. Effect of Pyramidal Training on Plasma Lipid Profile and Fibrinogen, and Blood Viscosity of Untrained Young Men. Annals of Applied Sport Science 2013; 1(3): 47-56.
- Hilberg T, Gläser D, Reckhart C, Prasa D, Stürzebecher J, Gabriel HH. Blood coagulation and fibrinolysis after long-duration treadmill exercise controlled by individual anaerobic threshold. Eur J Appl Physiol 2003; 90(5-6): 639-42.
- Smith J, Garbutt G, Lopes P, Pedoe DT. Effects of prolonged strenuous exercise (marathon running) on biochemical and haematological markers used in the investigation of patients in the emergency department. Br J Sports Med 2004; 38(3): 292-4.
- Balagopal P, George D, Sweeten S, Mann K, Yarandi H, Mauras N, et al. Response of fractional synthesis rate (FSR) of fibrinogen, concentration of D-dimer and fibrinolytic balance to physical activity-based intervention in obese children. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6(8): 1296-303.
- Womack CJ, Nagelkirk PR, Coughlin AM. Exercise-induced changes in coagulation and fibrinolysis in healthy populations and patients with cardiovascular disease. Sports Med 2003; 33(11): 795-807.
- Suzuki T, Yamauchi K, Yamada Y, Furumichi T, Furui H, Tsuzuki J, et al. Blood coagulability and fibrinolytic activity before and after physical training during the recovery phase of acute myocardial infarction. Clin Cardiol 1992; 15(5): 358-64.
- Tosetto A, Prati P, Baracchini C, Manara R, Rodeghiero F. Association of plasma fibrinogen, C-reactive protein and G-455> A polymorphism with early atherosclerosis in the VITA Project cohort. Thromb Haemost 2011; 105(02): 329-35.
- Martins RA, Veríssimo MT, e Silva MJC, Cumming SP, Teixeira AM. Effects of aerobic and strength-based training on metabolic health indicators in older adults. Lipids Health Dis 2010; 9(1): 1-6.
- Čolak E, Kosanović-Jaković N, Žorić L, Radosavljević A, Stanković S, Majkić-Singh N. The association of lipoprotein parameters and C-reactive protein in patients with age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmic Res 2011; 46(3): 125-32.
- Simpson RJ, Florida-James GD, Whyte GP, Guy K. The effects of intensive, moderate and downhill treadmill running on human blood lymphocytes expressing the adhesion/activation molecules CD54 (ICAM-1), CD18 (β 2 integrin) and CD53. Eur J Appl Physiol 2006; 97(1): 109-21.
- Kahraman S, Bediz CŞ, Pişkin Ö, Aksu I, Topçu A, Yüksel F, et al. The effect of the acute submaximal exercise on thrombin activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor levels in young sedentary males. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 2011; 17(4): 414-20.
- Amini A, Sobhani V, Mohammadi MT, Shirvani H. Acute effects of aerobic, resistance and concurrent exercises, and maximal shuttle run test on coagulation and fibrinolytic activity in healthy young non-athletes. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2017; 57(5): 633-42.
- Kupchak BR, Creighton BC, Aristizabal JC, Dunn-Lewis C, Volk BM, Ballard KD, et al. Beneficial effects of habitual resistance exercise training on coagulation and fibrinolytic responses. Thromb Res 2013; 131(6): e227-34.
- Ghasemi E, Nayebifar S. Benefits of 10 weeks of high-intensity interval training and green tea supplementation on cardiovascular risk factors and VO2maxin overweight women. J Res Med Sci 2019; 24(1): 79.
- Buchan DS, Ollis S, Young JD, Thomas NE, Cooper SM, Tong TK, et al. The effects of time and intensity of exercise on novel and established markers of CVD in adolescent youth. Am J Hum Biol 2011; 23(4): 517-26.
- Elham S, Hamid R, Hassan E. Effects of 12 weeks of interval versus continuous aerobic exercise on some new risk factors of cardiovascular disease in overweight female students. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research 2014; 6(2): 223-6.
- Bilski J, Teległów A, Pokorski J, Nitecki J, Pokorska J, Nitecka E, et al. Effects of a meal on the hemorheologic responses to exercise in young males. Biomed Res Int 2014; 2014: 862968.
- Filar-Mierzwa K, Marchewka A, Dąbrowski Z, Bac A,
Marchewka J. Effects of dance movement therapy on the rheological properties of blood in elderly women. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 2019; 72(2): 211-9.
- Arjmand A, Ganji A. The effect of endurance training on the levels of reactive protein C (CRP) plasma middle-aged men. Educational Studies 2015; 2(1): 26-32.
- Marchewka A, Filar-Mierzwa K, Dabrowski Z, Telegó A. Effects of rhythmic exercise performed to music on the rheological properties of blood in women over 60 years of age. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 2015; 60(4): 363-73.
- Rashidlamir A, Jaafari M. Effectiveness of an Eight Weeks Aerobic Exercise in Improvement of Body Composition and Modulation of hsCRP, Fibrinogen and Resistin in Middle Aged Men. Global Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology 2013; 5.
- Golzar FAK, Vatani DS, Mojtahedi H, Marandi SM. The effects of whey protein isolate supplementation and resistance training on cardiovascular risk factors in overweight young men. Journal of Isfahan Medical School 2012; 7(2): 37-46. [Article in Farsi]
- Rezaeimanesh D, Farsani PA, Saidian S. The Effect of 8-Week's Anaerobic Intermittent Exercises on The Amount of Fibrinogen, CRP and VO2max in Student Athletes. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2011; 30: 2169-72.
- Hornbuckle LM, Liu PY, Ilich JZ, Kim JS, Arjmandi BH, Panton LB. Effects of resistance training and walking on cardiovascular disease risk in African-American women. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2012; 44(3): 525-33.
- Laswati H, Sugiarto D, Poerwandari D, Pangkahila JA, Kimura H. Low-Intensity Exercise with Blood Flow Restriction Increases Muscle Strength without Altering hsCRP and Fibrinogen Levels in Healthy Subjects. Chin J Physiol 2018; 61(3): 188-95.
- Sheikholeslami Vatani D, Ahmadi Kani Golzar F. Changes in antioxidant status and cardiovascular risk factors of overweight young men after six weeks supplementation of whey protein isolate and resistance training. Appetite 2012; 59(3): 673-8.
- Parsian H, Zafari A. The effect of different types of exercise on plasma fibrinogen levels in non-athlete males. Eur J Exp Biol 2013; 3(3): 426-30.
The Effects of Acute Exercise and Exercise Training on
Sci J Iran Blood Transfus Organ 2021;18(2): 127-141
Plasma Fibrinogen Levels in Healthy Individuals:
Eslami R.1, Heidary D.2, Mehdipour A.2, Heidari S.3
1Faculty of Sport Sciences, Allameh Tabataba’i University, Tehran, Iran
2Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Allameh Tabataba’i University, Tehran, Iran
3Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background and Objectives
The aim of this meta-analytical review was to compare the effect of different exercise training on plasma fibrinogen levels as well as to evaluate the acute and chronic response of fibrinogen to exercise.
Materials and Methods
In order to study the effects of exercise training on fibrinogen, a search was conducted in the databases of PubMed, Science Direct, Scopus, and Google Scholar. The search used identified keywords and reviewed articles published between 2010 and 2020. After the initial screening, full-text review and critical evaluation of the studies, the articles that met the inclusion criteria were analyzed. Finally, 22 studies including 33 trials with meta-analysis inclusion criteria were analyzed.
The results of meta-analysis show that the acute response of fibrinogen to exercises is incremental, but the increase is not significant. On the other hand, the chronic response of fibrinogen to exercises is significantly reductive, which is related to aerobic exercise and high-intensity interval training and the response to anaerobic exercise is negligible.
In general, it can be said that exercise can be effective in modifying vascular fibrinogen levels. In various studies, in the acute response to exercise, there have been no change or increase in plasma fibrinogen levels but in the chronic response to exercise, a decrease in plasma fibrinogen levels has been reported. However, there is still a need for high quality studies with a sufficient sample size in this field.
Key words: Endurance Training, Resistance Training, High Intensity Interval Training, Fibrinogen, Blood Viscosity
Received: 11 Nov 2020
Accepted: 13 Feb 2021
Correspondence: Eslami R., PhD of Exercise Physiology. Associate Professor of Faculty of Sport Sciences, Allameh Tabataba’i University.
Postal Code: 1489684511, Tehran, Iran. Tel: (+9821) 44118629; Fax: (+9821) 44118630
|Send email to the article author
|Add your comments about this article
Eslami R, Heidary D, Mehdipour A, Heidari S. The Effects of Acute Exercise and Exercise Training onPlasma Fibrinogen Levels in Healthy Individuals:A Meta-Analysis. Sci J Iran Blood Transfus Organ. 2021; 18 (2) :127-141