Gamma irradiation, an appropriate method for sterilization of the fibrin membrane while maintaining its biocompatibility characteristics
| T. Akbari Saeed , M. Ahmadi ZeydAbadi Dr., A. Fatemi Dr., A.R. Farsinejad Dr. *
|Keywords: Key words: Tissue Engineering, Fibrinogen, Sterilization, Gamma Rays
Full-Text [PDF 724 kb]
| Abstract (HTML) (910 Views)
Type of Study: Research |
Full-Text: (144 Views)
- Panadero J, Vikingsson L, Gomez Ribelles J, Lanceros-Mendez S, Sencadas V. In vitro mechanical fatigue behavior of poly--caprolactone macroporous scaffolds for cartilage tissue engineering: Influence of pore filling by a poly vinyl alcohol gel. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2015; 103(5): 1037-43.
- Soleimannejad M, Ebrahimi-Barough S, Nadri S, Riazi-Esfahani M, Soleimani M, Tavangar SM, et al. Retina tissue engineering by conjunctiva mesenchymal stem cells encapsulated in fibrin gel: Hypotheses on novel approach to retinal diseases treatment. Med Hypotheses 2017; 101: 75-7.
- Bose S, Roy M, Bandyopadhyay A. Recent advances in bone tissue engineering scaffolds. Trends Biotechnol 2012; 30(10): 546-54.
- Cai M, Zhang J, Guan L, Zhao M. Novel implantable composite biomaterial by fibrin glue and amniotic membrane for ocular surface reconstruction. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2015; 26(3): 149.
- Tsai IL, Hsu CC, Hung KH, Chang CW, Cheng YH. Applications of biomaterials in corneal wound healing. J Chin Med Assoc 2015; 78(4): 212-7.
- Cui W, Zhou Y, Chang J. Electrospun nanofibrous materials for tissue engineering and drug delivery. Sci Technol Adv Mater 2010; 11(1): 014108.
- Kim BS, Shkembi F, Lee J. In Vitro and in vivo Evaluation of Commercially Available Fibrin Gel as a Carrier of Alendronate for Bone Tissue Engineering. Biomed Res Int 2017; 2017: 6434169.
- Chiti MC, Dolmans MM, Donnez J, Amorim CA. Fibrin in Reproductive Tissue Engineering: A Review on Its Application as a Biomaterial for Fertility Preservation. Ann Biomed Eng 2017; 45(7): 1650-63.
- Gassling V, Douglas T, Warnke PH, Acil Y, Wiltfang J, Becker ST. Platelet-rich fibrin membranes as scaffolds for periosteal tissue engineering. Clin Oral Implants Res 2010; 21(5): 543-9.
- Arabaci T, Kose O, Albayrak M, Cicek Y, Kizildag A. Advantages of Autologous Platelet-Rich Fibrin Membrane on Gingival Crevicular Fluid Growth Factor Levels and Periodontal Healing: A Randomized Split-Mouth Clinical Study. J Periodontol 2017; 88(8): 771-7.
- Parthiban PS, Lakshmi RV, Mahendra J, Sreekumar K,
Namasivayam A. A contemporary approach for treatment planning of horizontally resorbed alveolar ridge: Ridge split technique with simultaneous implant placement using platelet rich fibrin membrane application in mandibular anterior region. Indian J Dent Res 2017; 28(1): 109-13.
- Can ME, Çakmak HB, Dereli Can G, Ünverdi H, Toklu Y, Hücemenoğlu S. A Novel Technique for Conjunctivoplasty in a Rabbit Model: Platelet-Rich Fibrin Membrane Grafting. J Ophthalmol 2016; 2016: 1965720.
- Laurens N, Koolwijk P, De Maat M. Fibrin structure and wound healing. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4(5): 932-9.
- Lisi A, Briganti E, Ledda M, Losi P, Grimaldi S, Marchese R, et al. A combined synthetic-fibrin scaffold supports growth and cardiomyogenic commitment of human placental derived stem cells. PloS One 2012; 7(4): e34284.
- Gassling V, Hedderich J, Acil Y, Purcz N, Wiltfang J, Douglas T. Comparison of platelet rich fibrin and collagen as osteoblast-seeded scaffolds for bone tissue engineering applications. Clin Oral Implants Res 2013; 24(3): 320-8.
- Tunalι M, Özdemir H, Arabacι T, Gürbüzer B, Pikdöken L, Firatli E. Clinical evaluation of autologous platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of multiple adjacent gingival recession defects: a 12-month study. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2015; 35(1): 105-14.
- Nagaveni NB, Kumari KN, Poornima P, Reddy V. Management of an endo-perio lesion in an immature tooth using autologous platelet-rich fibrin: a case report. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2015; 33(1): 69- 73.
- Joseph VR, Sam G, Amol NV. Clinical evaluation of autologous platelet rich fibrin in horizontal alveolar bony defects. J Clin Diagn Res 2014; 8(11): ZC43-7.
- Guinot A, Arnaud A, Azzis O, Habonimana E, Jasienski S, Fremond B. Preliminary experience with the use of an autologous PRF membrane for urethroplasty coverage in distal hypospadias surgery. J Pediatr Urol 2014; 10(2): 300-5.
- Thorn JJ, Sørensen H, Weis-Fogh U, Andersen M. Autologous fibrin glue with growth factors in reconstructive maxillofacial surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2004; 33(1): 95-100.
- de la Puente P, Ludena D. Cell culture in autologous fibrin scaffolds for applications in tissue engineering. Exp Cell Res 2014; 322(1): 1-11.
- Shah M, Deshpande N, Bharwani A, Nadig P, Doshi V, Dave D. Effectiveness of autologous platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of intra-bony defects: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2014; 18(6): 698-704.
- Safinaz MK, Norzana AG, Hairul Nizam MH, Ropilah AR, Faridah HA, Chua KH, et al. The use of autologous fibrin as a scaffold for cultivating autologous conjunctiva in the treatment of conjunctival defect. Cell Tissue Bank 2014; 15(4): 619-26
- Hermans MH. Preservation methods of allografts and their (lack of) influence on clinical results in partial
thickness burns. Burns 2011; 37(5): 873-81.
- Li Y, Meng H, Liu Y, Lee BP. Fibrin gel as an injectable biodegradable scaffold and cell carrier for tissue engineering. ScientificWorldJournal 2015; 2015: 685690.
- Shimizu T, Shibata K, Kora S. First Autoclave, Sterilized Platelet-Additive Solution Containing Glucose with a Physiological pH for the Preparation of Plasma-Poor Platelet Concentrates. Vox Sang 1992; 62(2): 87-93.
- Lai JY. Photo-cross-linking of amniotic membranes for limbal epithelial cell cultivation. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 2014; 45: 313-9.
- Rooney P, Eagle M, Hogg P, Lomas R, Kearney J. Sterilisation of skin allograft with gamma irradiation. Burns 2008; 34(5): 664-73.
- Ab Hamid SS, Zahari NK, Yusof N, Hassan A. Scanning electron microscopic assessment on surface morphology of preserved human amniotic membrane after gamma sterilisation. Cell Tissue Bank 2014; 15(1): 15-24.
- Horowitz B, Williams B, Margolis-Nunno H, Chin SN. Process for the sterilization of biological compositions using irradiation and quenchers of type I and type II photodynamic reactions. Google Patents; US 5981163 A.
- Hiemstra H, Tersmette M, Vos A, Over J, Berkel M, Bree H. Inactivation of human immunodeficiency virus by gamma radiation and its effect on plasma and coagulation factors. Transfusion 1991; 31(1): 32-9.
- Margolis-Nunno H, Ben-Hur E, Horowitz B. Process for the sterilization of biological compositions and the product produced thereby. WO1994028120 A1. Google Patents; 2000.
- Doyle A, Griffiths JB. Cell and tissue culture: laboratory procedures in biotechnology. New York: Wiley; 1998. p. 1-15.
- Ahmed TA, Giulivi A, Griffith M, Hincke M. Fibrin glues in combination with mesenchymal stem cells to develop a tissue-engineered cartilage substitute. Tissue Eng Part A 2011; 17(3-4): 323-35.
- Singh R, Rohilla R, Gawande J, Kumar Sehgal P. To evaluate the role of platelet-rich plasma in healing of acute diaphyseal fractures of the femur. Chin J Traumatol 2017; 20(1): 39-44.
- Afradi H, Saghaei Y, Kachoei ZA, Babaei V, Teimourian S. Treatment of 100 chronic thalassemic leg wounds by plasma-rich platelets. Int J Dermatol 2017; 56(2): 171-5.
- Ho ST, Cool SM, Hui JH, Hutmacher DW. The influence of fibrin based hydrogels on the chondrogenic differentiation of human bone marrow stromal cells. Biomaterials 2010; 31(1): 38-47.
- Chien CS, Ho HO, Liang YC, Ko PH, Sheu MT, Chen CH. Incorporation of exudates of human platelet-rich fibrin gel in biodegradable fibrin scaffolds for tissue engineering of cartilage. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2012; 100(4): 948-55.
- Huang GP, Shanmugasundaram S, Masih P, Pandya D, Amara S, Collins G, et al. An investigation of common crosslinking agents on the stability of electrospun collagen scaffolds. J Biomed Mater Res A 2015;
- Aoyagi Y, Kuroda M, Asada S, Tanaka S, Konno S, Tanio M, et al. Fibrin glue is a candidate scaffold for long-term therapeutic protein expression in spontaneously differentiated adipocytes in vitro. Exp Cell Res 2012; 318(1): 8-15.
- Bensaıd W, Triffitt J, Blanchat C, Oudina K, Sedel L, Petite H. A biodegradable fibrin scaffold for mesenchymal stem cell transplantation. Biomaterials 2003; 24(14): 2497-502
- Charo I, Nannizzi L, Phillips DR, Hsu MA, Scarborough RM. Inhibition of fibrinogen binding to GP IIb-IIIa by a GP IIIa peptide. J Bio Chem 1991; 266(3): 1415-21.
- Li W-J, Tuli R, Okafor C, Derfoul A, Danielson KG, Hall DJ, et al. A three-dimensional nanofibrous scaffold for cartilage tissue engineering using human mesenchymal stem cells. Biomaterials 2005; 26(6): 599-609.
- Ahmed T, Hincke MT. Mesenchymal stem cell-based tissue engineering strategies for repair of articular cartilage. Histol Histopathol 2014; 29(6): 669-89.
- Girandon L, Kregar-Velikonja N, Bozikov K, Barlic A. In vitro models for adipose tissue engineering with adipose-derived stem cells using different scaffolds of
natural origin. Folia Biol 2011; 57(2): 47-56.
- Jung O, Hanken H, Smeets R, Hartjen P, Friedrich RE, Schwab B, et al. Osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells in fibrin-hydroxyapatite matrix in a 3-dimensional mesh scaffold. In Vivo 2014; 28(4): 477-82.
- Ahmed TA, Griffith M, Hincke M. Characterization and inhibition of fibrin hydrogel-degrading enzymes during development of tissue engineering scaffolds. Tissue Eng 2007; 13(7): 1469-77.
- Hong DP. Effect of platelet-rich fibrin on frequency of alveolar osteitis following mandibular third molar surgery: A double-blinded randomized clinical trial. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014; 72(8): 1463-7.
- Safinaz M, Norzana A, Nizam MH, Ropilah A, Faridah H, Chua K, et al. The use of autologous fibrin as a scaffold for cultivating autologous conjunctiva in the treatment of conjunctival defect. Cell Tissue Bank 2014; 15(4): 619-26.
- Chaudhary Z, Kumar YR, Mohanty S, Khetrapal A. Amalgamation of allogenic bone graft, platelet-rich fibrin gel, and PRF membrane in auto-transplantation of an impacted central incisor. Contemp Clin Dent 2015; 6(2): 250-3.
Sci J Iran Blood Transfus Organ 2018; 15(1): 36-46
Gamma irradiation, an appropriate method for sterilization
of the fibrin membrane while maintaining its biocompatibility characteristics
Akbari Saied T.1, Ahmadi M.2, Fatemi A.3, Farsinejad A.R.4
1Sirjan University of Medical Sciences, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
2Physiology and Neuroscience Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
3School of Paramedical Science, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
4Department of Hematology and Medical Laboratory, Faculty of Allied-Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background and Objectives
Tissue engineering as a potential method was developed for the repair of tissue damages. The basic prerequisite for tissue engineering is in vitro growth and proliferation of cells on the scaffolds. One of the important new biomaterials that was introduced in 2006 by Choukroun and colleagues is fibrin membrane and now is only used as an autologous biomaterial. However, the use of fibrin as allogeneic membrane due to the risk of transmission of viral and bacterial diseases is very limited. Perhaps the decontamination of fibrin membranes be a key solution to overcome the limitations of its application in tissue engineering.
Materials and Methods
In this experimental study, fibrin membranes prepared of FFP by three methods were decontaminated. Cell viability and toxicity of 3T3 fibroblast cell on membranes of fibrin that was decontaminated were evaluated by MTT assay. Statistical analysis of data was performed by using Paired-Sample t-test.
In case of both decontaminated and contaminated fibrin membranes, the survival of fibroblast cells 24 and 48 hours after exposure to the membrane increased significantly (P>0.01); however, 72 hours after exposure, the proliferation reduced and there were evidence of cells apoptosis.
Based on these findings it can be concluded that Fibrin membranes by providing an appropriate background and releasing growth factors enhance the proliferative potential and increased survival of the cells. This feature is not affected by the decontamination methods of fibrin membranes.
Key words: Tissue Engineering, Fibrinogen, Sterilization, Gamma Rays
Received: 10 Dec 2016
Accepted: 11 Dec 2017
Correspondence: Farsinejad A.R., PhD of Hematology & Blood Banking. Assistant Professor of Department of Hematology and Medical Laboratory, Faculty of Allied-Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences.
Postal Code: 7619794435, Kerman, Iran. Tel: (+9834) 32112007; Fax: (+9834) 31325375
1- Biological safety cabinet
1- Platelet Concentrate
2- Food and Drug Administration
3- Normal Skin Flora
4- Platelet Rich Plasma-Platelet Concentrate
5- Eosin-Methylene blue
|Send email to the article author
|Add your comments about this article
Akbari Saeed T, Ahmadi ZeydAbadi M, Fatemi A, Farsinejad A. Gamma irradiation, an appropriate method for sterilization of the fibrin membrane while maintaining its biocompatibility characteristics. Sci J Iran Blood Transfus Organ. 2019; 15 (1) :36-46