Instructions for Authors
Aims and Scope of the Journal
The Scientific Journal of Iranian Blood Transfusion Organization Research Center is the scientific-research quarterly published in Farsi language with abstracts both in Farsi and English. It covers topics relevant to blood and transfusion medicine. It aims to raise the awareness of researchers, physicians, and all involved in the field of blood transfusion about the most recent developments.
Summaries of articles published in this journal are indexed for Islamic World Science Citation Database (ISC), IMEMR and Index Copernicus; They are also cited in locally – based indexes of Iranmedex, Magiran and SID. Our published articles are accessible to all researchers and educators at our website: www.bloodjournal.ir . Authors wishing to submit an article for publication in this journal are asked to follow the instructions below.
Articles will be published in The Scientific Journal of Iranian Blood Transfusion Organization Research Center under four categories:
1. Research article
It should consist of title (Farsi and English), abstract (in Farsi and English involving background and objectives, materials and methods, results, and conclusions), key words, introduction, materials and methods, results, conclusions, and references.
2. Review article
It involves the overall study of a new scientific topic. Such articles would be approved of for publication if submitted by qualified experts with research experiences in the relevant field. The number of references should not be less than 50.
3. Case report
It should present novel scientific materials that are of great interest. A brief description of the case followed by a comment section should appear.
4. Short communication
It should be in form of research article, systematic review or ongoing research which reports its interesting findings. The parts in this type of articles are like those of original one but they are smaller and prepared in maximum 2000 words.
Submission of manuscripts
1. Language: All articles should be in Farsi language fully in accordance to Farsi grammar and writing patterns. Farsi terms should replace foreign language words. If there is no Farsi equivalent in common use, phonetic writing should apply. Writing patterns of biomedical articles follow the uniform requirements of International Committee of Medical Journal Editors.
2. Manuscripts are received with the explicit understanding that they have not previously been published elsewhere nor are they under simultaneous consideration by any other publisher. The full manuscript formatted according to The Scientific Journal of Iranian Blood Transfusion Organization Guide to Authors will be accepted for publication if:
2-1) The abstract or the poster has been presented in a scientific meeting.
2-2) The abstract has been published in an abstract book or proceedings of a scientific meeting.
2-3) Non-Persian articles published in Non-Domestic Journals will preferentially demand permission from the publisher.
In all of the above the author should submit the inquiry with the copies of the abstract book entry, poster or foreign article to the editor.
3. Name, family name, and title of all authors should be written in order and all authors should be aware of its submission and publication. The name of the corresponding author should be notified. The main author is legally responsible for including the names and family names of co-authors.
4. Manuscripts should be typed on one side only of A4 paper with wide margins (2.5cm) and double-spacing.
5. A floppy-copy of manuscript should be submitted to the journal office.
6. Abbreviations must be written in full in parenthesis.
7. Illustrations and figures in four copies should be submitted in glossy prints of 10 by 15 cm. Each figure should be marked on the back with its appropriate number, together with the name(s) of the author(s) and the title of the article in pencil. The orientation of an illustration should be marked with an arrow. The position of each illustration in the text should be specified with a cadre in which the number is typed. The legends of figures as numbered should be provided in the manuscripts. Digital photos should appear in a jpj format.
8. When an embedded object from SPSS or Excel is added to the Word the original source should be sent separately to make probable changes possible.
9. The Scientific Journal of Iranian Blood Transfusion Organization Research Center is permitted to disapprove, accept, or modify the submitted articles. If necessary, it would inform the author on its modification. Submitted articles will not be returned.
10. Peer review process: After acknowledgment of article's receipt, the submitted article will be evaluated by the editorial board in general, at the first session, to see if the format and content conforms to the journal's criteria and then if acceptable is sent for peer-reviewing. After it is accepted upon the decision of referees and its approval by Editorial Board, they are peer-reviewed by at least 2 anonymous reviewers selected by the Editorial Board. The corresponding author is notified as soon as possible of the editor decision to accept, reject, or require modifications. If the manuscript is completely acceptable according to the criteria set forth in these instructions, it is scheduled for the next available issue. 10 copies of the published article would be forwarded to the main author.
11. Proof Reading: A computer print out is sent to the corresponding author for proof reading before publication in order in order to avoid any mistakes. Corrections should be marked clearly and sent immediately to the journal office.
12. In order to promote research activities in our country, relevant locally published articles are advised to be used as references.
13. Page charges: There are no charges for publication in this Journal.
14. Copyright: The entire contents of The Scientific Journal of Iranian Blood Transfusion Organization Research Center are protected under international copyrights. This Journal is for your personal noncommercial use. You may not modify copy, distribute, transmit, display, or publish any materials contained on the Journal without the prior written permission of it or the appropriate copyright owner.
15. Authors are responsible for contents of their articles and the intellectual property of articles is reserved for authors.
The address of the journal office for article submission is: Iranian Blood Transfusion Organization Research Center, next to the Milad Tower, Hemmat expy, Tehran, Iran. P.O.Box: 14665-1157
Manuscripts can also be submitted online at www.bloodjournal.ir or www.SID.ir
Email: email@example.com Tel/Fax: 009821-88601599
Web address: www.bloodjournal.ir
Preparation of manuscripts
1. The title should be in bold print, brief and to the point reflecting the content of the study; it should consist of full names of authors and their highest academic degrees (written in MD, PhD, BS, MS forms), field of study, faculty, university, city, country and full postal address with their email and fax numbers.
2. Abstracts should comprise of at least 150 to 250 words including background and objectives, materials and methods, results, and conclusions. There should be an English copy of the abstract. Farsi and English abstracts should be in semantic equivalence. Key words ranging from 3 to 10 items (according to MeSH) list of Index Medicus (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/mesh) should be written. Abstracts of case report should consist of less than 125 words.
3. Introduction should indicate research objectives and relevant literature.
4. Materials and Methods should refer to the research methodology, subjects, their selection and control, age, gender and other relevant characteristics, lab materials and tools, and statistical analysis.
5. Ethical policy forbids any patient names to be published. If a patient image is printed, the eyes should be hidden and the relevant informed consent taken. In case of animal subjects and pets, the relevant principles should be complied. Declaration of Helsinki on Human subjects should be taken into account.
6. Conflict of interests should be considered so that authors disclose any commercial or other associations that might pose a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscripts. All funding sources supporting the research should be acknowledged as well.
7. Statistical principles and methods should be written in details including the measurement errors, and the subjects excluded from the test.
8. Results should be in text, table, diagram, or image format in the sequence they appeared in the article. There should be no repetitive tables and images. They should be in Farsi language printed in the appropriate section.
9. Tables In limited numbers should be submitted with the captions placed above. Do not submit tables as photograph. Place explanatory matters in footnotes, not in the heading.
10. Figures should be in limited numbers, with high quality art work and mounted on separate pages. The captions should be placed below. The same data should not be presented in tables, figures and text, simultaneously.
11. Discussion provides a space for the new significant findings to be compared with what are available in literature, and reasons for their approval or denial to be discussed. The repetitive findings should be avoided, a brief review of relevant literature is included, the research limitations are taken into account, new strategies and hypotheses are put forward, and eventually the new findings are compared against the predicted ones.
12. Conclusions include the final outcome of the research.
13. Acknowledgements: All contributors who do not meet the criteria for authorship should be covered in the acknowledgement section. It should include persons who provided technical help, writing assistance and departmental head who only provided general support. Financial and material support should also be acknowledged.
14. References should be written according to their sequence numbered in the text. They should be typed based on Vancouver style.
14-1) Farsi References:
Pour Mokhtar M, Jalili MA, Heidari M. [Biochemistry of Red Blood cell]. 1st ed. Tehran: IBTO; 2008. p. 39-44.
Aminabadi N , Shirmohamadi A. [Evaluation of Jaws Dimentsion and occlusion of Thalassemic children with permanent Dentition in Tabriz Children Hospital]. Shiraz Univ. Dent J 2006; 7 (1) : 138-145.
14-2) English References:
Fauci AS, Braunwald E, Isselbacher KJ, Wilson JD, Martin JB, Kasper DL, et al, editors . Harrison ’s principles of internal medicine. 14th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, Health Professions Division; 1998
Chapter in book:
Porter RJ, Meldrum BS. Antiepileptic drugs. In: Katzung BG, editor. Basic and clinical pharmacology. 6th ed. Norwalk (CN): Appleton and Lange; 1995. p. 361-80.
Russell FD, Coppell AL, Davenport AP. In vitro enzymatic processing of radiolabelled big ET-1 in human kidney as a food ingredient. Biochem Pharmacol 1998 Mar 1;55(5):697-701.
Garfinkel PE , Lin E, Goering P. Should amenorrhoea be necessary for the diagnosis of anorexia nervosa? Br J Psych [serial online] 1996 [cited 1999 Aug 17]; 168(4):500-6. Available from: URL:http://biomed.niss.ac.uk .
15. Symbols and abbreviations should be used so that standard abbreviated words replace full words and terms. All uncommon abbreviations used for the first time should be defined. The abbreviated words are used when their full forms have applied three times in a text.
16. Disposal of material: Once published, all copies of the manuscript, correspondence and artwork will be held for 6 months before disposal.